Tuesday, October 16, 2012

My First Doula Birth

I haven't posted in some time. For one, life has been crazy busy--it needed to be simplified while I got my grasps on it again.  Blogging was one of those things I felt could go...

But I had to stop by and share that I assisted with my first birth as a doula-in-traing this past Friday October 12, 2012!! A good friend of my mine, also a doula, allowed me to shadow during the prenatals and birth. IT WAS AMAZING! This mother was AMAZING! It was her first birth and she handled it like a champ. I am still in awe of her. Mom chose to have her baby at a gorgeous birth facility. It was a serene water birth. The facility trains midwives, so Mama had the 2 main midwives, 4 student midwives, 2 doulas, her mom and husband present. Each one the midwives, and of course us two doulas, were there being supportive, saying words of support and encouragement, utilizing pain relief methods and contraction couching. It was like watching a bunch of birth muses flocked around a birthing Mama oozing with genuine love and support, totally awesome to witness!  At 2:44pm beautiful, baby girl, Colette, arrived at 8.12lbs and 21 inches long.

I am so blessed and grateful to the Mom and Dad for allowing to be a part of this intimate moment in their lives. And a big thanks to my friend for providing me with the opportunity and experience.


Welcome to the world baby girl!