Tuesday, November 29, 2011

A Quilt and a Badge

I finished sewing my baby quilt! I am pleased with how it turned out and I had a good time in the process of making it--which is half the fun. There is nothing like being in your crafting space (mine happens to be the basement), having a nice cup of tea, and creating. That’s my idea of a good time! While the quilt may not be perfect, it was sewn with tons of mama-made love : )


Not only did I get my baby quilt checked off my to-do list of things to get ready for my new baby, I earned a Merit Badge as a bonus! This project completed my requirements for the Beginners Quilting Badge.
 
Quilting Beginner Level
  • If you don’t know how to quilt, learn.
  • Pick a simple pattern like a doll-sized quiilt that will help you learn the basics, even just sewing squares together.
  • Learn how to add a backing and batting and do simple quilting stitches to hold everything in place.
  • Finish your quilt project. There is a three-hour minimum time investment required.
  •  
After some of my other holiday gifts and baby items are completed, I’ll be upping the ante and going for my Intermediate Quilting Badge. I’ll be attempting a cathedral window quilt (baby-sized mind you, they’re quite intricate and time consuming). When my great-grandmother passed away she left behind a couple of cathedral window patches, which came into my mother’s possession. Ever since I laid eyes upon that pattern I’ve wanted to make one. Of course I’ve been waiting for my sewing and quilting skills to mature to even attempt it. I think I’m ready to give it a try.