Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Sprouting Beans

Bean Sprouting. Never done it. But as my family is journeying towards adding more and varied nutritious, organic foods to our daily diet, it is time to try my hand at hand. And I have healthy prenatal eating to keep mind as well! What I eat, baby eats. Bean sprouts are extremely nutritious.Sprouts are a great source of vitamin C and protein. But how exactly do you do it? I used MaryJane's Idea Book, Cook Book, Life Book as my guide on this sprouting journey. According to the book, you can sprout just about anything: beans:  mung-beans, alfalfa, cannellini, garbanzo, etc.; grains: wheat and rye; legumes: lentils and lima beans; vegetables like corn, cabbage, radishes, or onions; nuts: almonds; seeds: clover, mustard, fennel, sesame, quinoa, sunflower. These are just to name a few!
 

DAY 1: Take a jar, bowel, or any food grade container, and add about ¼ cups of beans. I used chick peas, AKA Garbanzos, because I personally love them and figured they’d be a good place to start--my little guinea pigs. Once in the container, fill with water, and cover. Let the little guys soak overnight.




DAY 2: A) In the morning, rinse the beans under water in a colander. Put the beans back in the container with no water. Cover. B) Repeat their “rinse” in the evening, just as you did in the morning.




DAY 3: Repeat your rinse regimen both morning and night.




DAY 4: My sprouts were looking pretty good! In fact, I probably could have started eating my chick peas on day three. Your sprouts can take from 3-5 days to be ready. But to be ready, doesn't necessarily mean they have to have a tail on them. Even without a visible tail, their is still nutritional goodness going on on the inside of the seed. After the third day put the sprouts in the refrigerator, continuing to rinse them. They can last up to a week stored in the refrigerator.