Thursday, December 1, 2011

Homemade Baby Wipes: Round Two

It's time for another batch of baby wipes. Since every roll of paper towels makes two batches of wipes, I'm stuck with using the other half of my Brawny roll. I'm not one to throw out perfectly good items--that's wasteful--and really, what's the use of a half roll of paper towels for cleaning purposes?! So alas, Brawny it is. Next time, I'm trying Bounty though.

Using the same baby wipe container I prepared last time--thinking green--I'm going to try a different variation of the recipe. Last time, I thought the wipes might have had too much standing water weakening my paper towels. This time I tried a recipe requiring less water. Using the same process in making them as I did in Round One, I simply switched up the solution recipe.


Baby Wipe Solution Recipe #2:
  • 1 cup boiling water
  • 1 tbsp baby wash
  • 1 tbsp baby oil
  • 1 tbsp rubbing alcohol

I figured while I was at it, I'd make some extra solution for my washable wipes to go along with my cloth diapers. I've heard of women using baby wash cloths as wipes, making their own flannel wipes, or you can purchase washable wipes from a cloth diaper store. I have some old cheap Gerber flat cloth diapers. They're really not good for much. I've used them as burp rags when my younger ones were babies, but I no longer need them for that purpose. They are now my new washable baby wipes! I also had an old peri bottle left over from my last hospital delivery. I filled that up with the same baby wipe solution I made for the paper towels. When I need to clean a dirty diaper, I just wet one of my "baby wipes" with the solution from the bottle. I'm already washing soiled diapers so it is really almost easier for me to just throw in the dirty washable wipes with them at the same time. Otherwise, while I'm changing a diaper, I have to keep the disposable wipes separate from my cloth diapers (while trying not to let the "mess" get all over) and then throw them way in the trash can. It's less of a pain to keep it all washable!