Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Work in Progress: Do It Anyway

This is a project of mine that is still in the works. I got the idea for this craft from Catholic Icing. The technique is quite simple. You write out your message on a piece of fabric using Elmer's school glue. Let it dry. Create a wash, mixing 3 parts acrylic paint, 1 part water. Paint the entire fabric-glue and all. Let it dry again. Throw in the washer machine, warm wash/gentle cycle. Voila! Lacy, of Catholic Icing, made a table runner out of her fabric but the possibilities are endless!

I've painted mine, I just haven't gotten around to the sewing part of the project yet.


My phrase, Life is between me and God, was inspired from a poem written by Mother Teresa called, "Do It Anyway." It's a little reminder to myself to be me. By no means in a selfish or self-centered way--just that the choices I make, the things I do, and the way I live require no approval from the outside world. It's a simple lesson that can be tough to learn. In fact, it's taken me 30 years to reach this point--to begin to find my voice. I've personally spent far too long trying to make others proud or wanting to be what I'm not because it's the "socially acceptable" thing to be/do. But, you know what, in the end life is about me and God. God made each one us of different and unique with  seperate paths we have to follow. As long as I'm being true to God and myself--the rest doesn't matter. I'm learning to enjoy life as me, Carrie.



Do It Anyway

People are often unreasonable,
illogical and self-centered;
Forgive them anyway.

If you are kind,
people may accuse you of selfish ulterior motives;
Be kind anyway.

If you are successful,
you will win some false friends and true enemies;
Succeed anyway.

If you are honest and frank,
people may cheat you;
Be honest anyway.

What you spend years building,
someone could destroy overnight;
Build anyway.

If you find serenity and happiness,
they may be jealous;
Be happy anyway.

The good you do today,
people will often forget tomorrow;
Do good anyway.

Give the world the best you have,
and it may never be enough;
Give the world the best you’ve got anyway.

You see, in the final analysis,
it is between you and God;
It was never between you and them anyway.