Thursday, January 19, 2012

Blogging Badge

How awesome is it when you can make a little difference in the world?! Okay, so I'm not creating world peace or feeding starving orphans in Somalia, but I helped initiate a Blogging Badge for the group I belong to, MaryJanesFarm' Farmgirl Sisterhood. In fact, this VERY blog you are reading sparked it!

See my eyes were opened to the world of blogging only about a year ago. Yes, before that I was oblivious to blogs believe it or not. But once I discovered them I had a blast subscribing to and reading some of my favorites. Secretly I wished I could start one of my own. They seemed fun and it would be a way for me to share and connect with others (which as a homeschooling homemaker is something I desperately felt I needed).

The Farmgirl Sisterhood has a badge for just about everything. On the Farmgirl Connection chat room I posed the question, "Is there a badge for blogging?" For my upcoming 30th birthday, I was going to treat myself to a blog--and if I was going to start one and I could earn a badge for it--even better!! There was not but it sparked some conversation. And it was picked up by the committee in charge of creating the new badges that come out each year to keep things fresh. My one little question and desire to start this blog became one of the 2012 new merit badges! Let me not toot my horn too much :) I only I posed the question in the chat room. I received an email from the lady in charge of badges saying they were going to use my blogging idea and asked me to review the badge requirements and offer any suggestions. That was the extent of the role I played. But it's still neat to think I had a little something to do with adding to the Sisterhood, however small it was.

While I didn't earn a badge for it, I have the Sisterhood to thank for their support and suggestions in helping me to get a blog up and running. I discovered there was a lot more involved than I expected to beginning a blog. I spent many hours designing (actually the time was spent mostly trying to figure out  how to design the blog page than actually designing the page itself ;)  Putting in buttons and pictures . . . . much more complicated than it seems! But persistence paid off. Through trial and error, and a labor of love,  I figured out the ropes for the most part. I'm still a novice and always learning. I certainly gained a whole new appreciation for the art of blogging.



So here's the badge requirements for the Blogging badge I helped initiate:


Each Other

19. Blogging

Beginner Level

  • Read Blogging for Bliss: Crafting Your Own Online Journal: A Guide for Crafters, Artists & Creatives of all Kinds by Tara Frey.
  • Choose your topic. Pick something you are passionate about.

Intermediate Level

  • Start your blog. Find a blogging host that works for you, or host your own.
  • Pick out a name, and publish your first post.
  • Don’t forget to add your blog to MaryJanesFarm’s GirlGab.com .

Expert Level

  • Learn how to add pictures and customize your blog.
  • Publish at least 10 posts along with photos.
  • Network! Create a blogging circle by visiting other blogs, writing comments, and leaving your blog’s address so they can visit you, also. Remember, building a blog and finding readers takes time. Be patient and have fun.

January, 2012 Edition