Saturday, February 11, 2012

Sweet Tooth Fix: Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins

Oh yeah, I have a sweet tooth. I'll admit it. Knowing that about myself, I realize if I want to eat healthy and organic I'm going to need to find some healthy healthier, sweet tooth friendly recipes. After my family's Christmas cookie baking craze, I was plum burnt out with the kitchen. I haven't done anything exciting in there since. And with being burned out with home cooking and living in a state of habitual pregnancy fatigue, my diet has made a turn for the worst--I have turned to easy, less nutritious, convenience foods and processed foods. Time to get back on track!

After scouring my cookbooks and making our recent trip to the Amish Market to stock up on ingredients, my first back-to-the-kitchen recipe is a Lemon Poppy Seed Muffin. My recipe came from Bob's Red Mill Baking Book, page 120--one of my favs!



Ingredients:
  • 1 cup unbleached white flour
  • 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
  • 1/4 cup wheat germ
  • 3 tablespoons poppy seeds
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 cup sugar
  • zest from one lemon
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/3 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/4 cup lemon juice

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Oil/butter a 12-cup muffin tin or line with muffin tin liners.

Whisk together the flours, wheat germ, poppy seeds, salt, baking soda, baking powder, sugar, and zest in  a large bowl. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs together with the oil, milk, and lemon juice, then combine with the dry ingredients until moistened.

Spoon the batter in the prepared muffin tin and bake for 20 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean. Let the muffins rest for 5 minutes before serving warm, right from the pan.

Simple and delicious :)