Thursday, February 9, 2012

Vitamins, Minerals, Herbs, and Placentas Part 2

As I promised, Part 2 to my post--placenta encapsulation!! Now why would I want to talk about that? I had never heard of it before this pregnancy. My midwives offer this service at a discounted rate ($75) to their moms, which typically runs about $150.  I have an acquaintance who is a doula but offers a placenta encapsulation service as well. She has offered to do mine for me. Since I didn't really know much about this I wanted to research more into it and it's benefits. Initially, when I heard about placenta encapsulation it seemed a little barbaric--maybe even cannibalistic. Even if I could have my placenta encapsulated for no monetary charge, would I be able to stomach it?

According to Placenta Benefits.info the benefits to placentophagia (technical term for consuming the placenta) are that the placenta capsules:

contain your own natural hormones
 perfectly made for you
balance your system
replenish depleted iron
give you more energy
lessen bleeding postnatally
been shown to increase milk production
help you have a happier postpartum period
hasten return of uterus to pre-pregnancy state
be helpful during menopause
     
You can check out their web page for a plethora of information and articles on this subject. If you would like to see the process--in pictures--from start to finish you can visit here.


There are obviously many benefits to this and after learning more about it I am heavily leaning towards having it done. Some other moms I know who have taken placenta capsules rave about the positive effects. And considering how tired I am right now and the fact I've kind of been in a rut recently is all the more reason I'd like to give it a go. I'm going to have 6 little ones to keep up with so anything that can help get me, and keep me, in tip-top shape I'm willing to try. I'm going to need all the help I can get--vitamins, minerals, herbs, placentas!

Oh, and this is not something new--this idea of placentophagia--it's been around for centuries and practiced throughout the world by many cultures. Food for thought (no pun intended :)